May 5, 2012

Passages from The Mystique of Enlightenment

The Mystique of Enlightenment - U.G. Krishnamurti

What I say you must not take literally. So much trouble has been created by people taking it all literally. You must test every word, every phrase, and see if it bears any relation to the way you are functioning. You must test it, but you are not in a position to accept it -- unfortunately this is a fact, take it or leave it. By writing it down, you will do more harm than good. You see, I am in a very difficult position: I cannot help you, whatever I say is misleading.



The Mystique of Enlightenment - U.G. Krishnamurti
 

I can't follow a very complex structure -- I have that difficulty, you see. Probably I'm a low-grade moron or something, I don't know -- I can't follow conceptual thinking. You can put it in very simple words. What exactly is the question? Because the answer is there; I don't have to give the answer. What I usually do is restructure the question, rephrase it in such a way that the question appears senseless to you.



The Mystique of Enlightenment - U.G. Krishnamurti
 

There is another thing I want to stress: all the questions you come out with must be your own questions -- then there is meaning in carrying on a dialogue. It has to be your question. So, do you have a question to call your own, a question which nobody else has asked before? 

Q: So many questions that people ask interest us, and we feel they are our questions. 

UG: Which they are not. This you will discover: they are not your questions at all. The questioner has to come to an end. It is the questioner that creates the answer; and the questioner comes into being from the answer, otherwise there is no questioner. I am not trying to play with words. You know the answer, and you want a confirmation from me, or you want some kind of light to be thrown on your problem, or you're curious -- if for any of these reasons you want to carry on a dialogue with me, you are just wasting your time; you'll have to go to a scholar, a pundit, a learned man -- they can throw a lot of light on such questions.



The Mystique of Enlightenment - U.G. Krishnamurti

There is nothing here which I can call my own.

No comments: