Jun 4, 2012

Passages from The Mystique of Enlightenment

The Mystique of Enlightenment - U.G. Krishnamurti
 

What do you want? Tell me, what is it? Look here, you can't ask for a thing which you don't know, and you don't know a thing about this -- now or then -- even assuming for a moment that you are an enlightened man, you have no way of knowing anything about it. This can never become a part of your knowledge.



The Mystique of Enlightenment - U.G. Krishnamurti

This has understood that it is not possible to experience anything any more. I don't know if I quite make myself clear. The individuality, the isolation, the separation (or whatever you want to call it) is not there any more. What separates you, what isolates you, is your thought -- it creates the frontiers, it creates the boundaries. And once the boundaries are not there, it is boundless, limitless. Not that you can experience that boundlessness and limitlessness of your consciousness; the content of your consciousness is so immense that you can't say anything about it. That is why I use the words "It's a state of not knowing." You really don't know. But how do you know that you do not know? It's not that you say to yourself that you do not know; but in relation to the ordinary state of consciousness you have no way of knowing that at all -- nobody has any way. There is not even an attempt on your part to grasp something.



The Mystique of Enlightenment - U.G. Krishnamurti
 

The experiencing structure comes to an end. If you don't recognize what you are looking at -- that flower as a flower, that rose as a rose -- it means you are not there. What are you? You are nothing but a bundle of all these experiences, the knowledge you have about them.



The Mystique of Enlightenment - U.G. Krishnamurti

I see, and I don't know what I'm looking at. My sensory perceptions are at their peak capacity, but still there is nothing inside of me which says "That is green. That is brown. You have white hair. You wear glasses...." The knowledge I have about things is in the background -- it is not operating. So, "Am I awake? Am I asleep?" -- I have no way of knowing it for myself. That is why I say that in this consciousness there is a total absence of any division into wakeful, dreaming and deep-sleep states. This may be called 'turiya' (to use your Sanskrit term) -- not transcending these things; a total absence of this division.

No comments: